Another blogging failure in the books, I think the last time I blogged anything was almost a year ago. How fast a year goes when you are living moment to moment! So, with that, I decided WE needed a date night. Called for a sitter on Sunday, confirmed Tuesday. I knew where I wanted to go, this little organic
restaurant in Perkasie, we've seen this place before, reviewed their menu, but never managed to get there. So this was it....do I need reservations? Eric looked it up Friday, and they did not open til 5pm....so I called around 3, surely there was SOMEONE there doing prep work, and luckily enough, secured reservations for 6.
Now, my after school life is rather overwhelming. I am watching my friends kid in the afternoon, as she is watching Mia in the morning (no before and after care payments!! yippy), so I have 3 kids after school. The biggest problem I have right now with this is going from crazy work brain, to crazy mom brain, with no time between to decompress. To be honest, I pour a glass of wine about 3 nights a week around 4:30, as soon as we come in from the bus stop, as I'm getting kids snacks and such. Some days are smooth sailing, when buses arrives as planned and kids are in good moods. Occasionally its insanity, like the day the dogs pooped and puked on the floor, its pouring, Mia gets off the bus in tears, Gavin kicks Mason (the "rental" kid), and Mason's appetite can not be satisfied and I'm a short order cook/snack prepper.....Anyway, on THIS day, it was beautiful outside, but I had snack on the table and ready to go before even leaving for the bus stop. Eric gets home and I realize that our sitters may not make it in time for our reservations, so I call and am assured we will be on time. That's good, now kids want to ride bikes (but I don't have one for Mason) and the neighborhood girl and her mom are also hanging out, despite my mentioning of dinner reservations, she is still talking to me about kids and school stuff (I guess this is what moms do at bus stops, casually chat while their kids play together...is this how friends are made? UGH, so no time for this, but I am attempting to be more social, so I agree to let kids play til 5, sitting on the electrical box outside chatting it up with a mom whom I have very little in common with, other than we both have first grade daughters).
Okay, 5 pm, say bye to the neighbors, clean up bike and scooters and herd kids inside to play. In my head, I have every intention of getting myself prettied up.....so 6547 things occur and its now 5:30, Mason is being picked up, I'm still looking like a hot mess. So I quick check the FB page of Maize to see what my dress requirements are, cause now I have to readjust my "pretty" since I have 15 minutes. Its slightly warm, so I throw on a skirt, only to realize....gee, I have not shaved my legs in, um....a week. So as Mia tells Eric "You know you should wear something a little nicer on a date, and not those dirty shoes", he is trying to change, I'm standing in the tub, doing a quick shave on my legs (so romantic, I know)...Its 5:50 and the sitter is just getting here, I know I should stay, say hi, but I unlock the car door, stick the bottle of wine in the cup holder, bark a command at Eric to get in the car, and call behind me "dinner is on the table".
We forget the restaurant is on a one way street, so we have to drive around the block. We get a parking spot a few stores down from the
restaurant. 6:05. I throw open the door, grab my bottle of wine and head towards the door. Its the second that I see 3 high school boys, sitting on a curb smoking cigarettes, recognizing one, who looks up and recognizes me, that I am aware that I'm walking down the street with a bottle of wine....is this okay?
As you open the heavy, red door to Maize, you are greeted by a warm dining room, and see the kitchen in the back. It smells like you are walking into someones home on a big holiday. We were greeted by Bob, who instantly reminds me of someone, but I can not put my finger on who, or where. Bob seats us, and explains the restaurants theme: Chef Matt goes to local farms to purchase the food, menu changes about 3 times a week (not gonna give it all away, you need to go yourself!). He takes our drink order (water is your only option, as its a BYOB), opens our wine, returns with some home made popcorn and some biscuits with honey butter. (Bob has a description of everything that is brought to the table). As a new reservation walks in I notice, they have their wine in a bag....is this a rule or etiquette? Then Bob goes into the whole monologue again with this new table....I listen again, because now I know where I recognize Bob, a mix of Ben Stein and my old neighbor from NC, Jim (we refer to him a Jim neighbor).
Bob is the only waiter, there was a high school student there who seemed to be a prep and set person (I did a few zumba classes with her, attempted to say hi, but I don't think it worked...or she didn't want to make eye contact, wish I could remember her name). Bob greets every diner with the same warm smile and gives his descriptions over and over again with the same energy. Either he loves his job, or is an excellent actor. I then came up with a plan for Bob, they should do waves of reservations, and give Bob a soap box, so he can do his thing a few times a night. I bet he drinks a lot of water, he does a lot of talking in a little bit of time.
Okay, back to dinner. It was AWESOME! First course I had a mixed greens salad with fresh goat cheese, roasted walnuts (which as I was eating recalled that it makes my tongue itch), figs and balsamic. Eric had a pork ribs with pickled watermelon and arugula. So good! Main course: Eric had a crab cake (no bread crumbs!) with vanilla corn and red pepper, I had bison with forked potatoes and Swiss chard. I can't even describe how wonderful dinner was. You are sitting in this dining room, can smell, see and hear your dinner cooking, and see the chef with thoughtful intent cooking food that is good for you, and local!! I also notice that another couple came in with their wine in a bag, and a couple leaving with left over wine (who has left over wine?) in a bag....damn, i needed a wine bag!
Even though I am so stuffed, I can not resist dessert: I overheard Bob say Creme Brulee a few minutes ago, so I am set. Eric orders a homemade ice cream sampler: salt, mint and olive oil. Again, fantastic. At this point, I am hard core fighting a food coma....I could just curl up against the wall, all full and warm and slightly buzzed and enjoy the ambiance of Maize, but I have kiddies to put to bed. All in all, the price was WELL worth it, and on the drive home we discussed who we would bring here and when we would be back. Next time, we will do the 5 course meal, Chef Matt goes off the menu and makes a 5 course meal for your table, seems like a dining adventure (that takes almost 3 hours, we would need more than a bottle of wine for that one!).
As we get home, kids are snuggled on the couch with auntie and fruncle, I am seriously about to pass out, and all is good in the world. I need date night more often. I need friends who want to do date night with us. I need free babysitters. I need Chef Matt to cook for me daily! You need to check out Maize if you live in this area (which those of you who read this do not, so come visit, we will go to Maize).
As I sit here and write this (cause its been in my head since Friday night), kids are crying, Eric thought I was writing an IEP, and I have to go food shopping, I am brought back to the reality that life is jammed packed, and you have to forcefully take a few moments to enjoy life and fulfill needs. Once the school year starts I am the worst at reaching out beyond my house to see people, make plans and so on. And every year I try to make efforts to be better, then stress out when I fail. This year, I think I will take what comes to me, and enjoy what is in my moment rather than stress about things beyond my reach. And eat more Maize!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Sounds yummy. Walnuts make my gums itch and burn. I think it one of those nuts that everyone is a little allergic too.
ReplyDeleteGlad to read your blog. It's fun to peak inside your brain every once in awhile;0)